Guideline August 1999 Geotechnical Considerations in Open Pit Mines Version 1.0 Department of Minerals and Energy Page 3 of 49 1.0 INTRODUCTION The potentially hazardous nature of open pit mining requires the application of sound geotechnical engineering
SOUTH AFRICAN NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF ROCK MECHANICS CHAMBER OF MINES OF SOUTH AFRICA CERTIFICATE IN ROCK MECHANICS PART 3-4 SURFACE MINING (HARD AND SOFT ROCK) SYLLABUS ...
· Land use after mine closure – risk assessment of gold and uranium mine residue deposits on the Eastern Witwatersrand, South Africa. In: Fourie, AB, Tibbett, M, Weiersbye, IM, Dye, PJ (eds) Proceeding of the Third International Conference on Mine Closure, Mine closure, 14–17 October 2008, Johannesburg, South Africa.
The dominance of rock falls and rockbursts as causes of accidents in South African gold mines is illustrated clearly by the statistics in Figure 1. Even though the rates are seen to be decreasing, they still remain unacceptably high. In the gold mines, the rates
new environmental legislation in South Africa. 2. Management approaches for the rehabilitation of mines In order to derive the Mine Closure Model, three management approaches for the rehabilitation of mines are considered. They are as follows: Project 2.1.
VIII CHALMERS, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Master‟s Thesis 2011:47 4.2 The PLC 37 4.3 Risk definition 38 4.4 The RMP 39 4.4.1 Risk identification 40 4.4.2 Risk assessment 41 4.4.3 Risk response 42 4.5 Risks handled in the project 44 4.6 The
baseline risk assessment for crushing and screening. baseline risk assessment on a crusher. ... so it is a good time to review crush syndrome and the basic treatment that ems providers need . ... screening plant at mines; earthquake risk assessment of rock
Assessment and Rockburst Risk Management in South African Mines R.J. Durrheim, et al. 250 Deep Mining 07, Perth, Australia it is generally agreed that accurate rockburst prediction (when, where, how big will the next event
Chapter 15: Sources and Methods of Dust Control, Environmental Engineering in South African Mines. The Mine Ventilation Society of South Africa, 1989. Control of respirable crystalline silica in quarries. HSE (UK) Publication HS(G)73, 1992.
Rock engineering also includes a working understanding of mining induced seismicity, including mechanisms; mine layout to minimise seismicity support to minimise rock burst damage. Scholarship Fund The Southern African Institute of Mining and Metallurgy established a Scholarship Trust Fund for students in Mining and Metallurgy at South African tertiary educational Institutions in 2003.
· Rock engineering can be considered a more casual term for geological engineering programs. Students in these programs study rock formations, their composition and mining practices. Undergraduate ...
Assessment and Rockburst Risk Management in South African Mines R.J. Durrheim, et al. 260 Deep Mining 07, Perth, Australia Mendecki, A.J. (editor) (1997) Seismic monitoring in mines, Chapman and Hall, London, 262 pp.
· An expert system with neural network modeling has been developed to assess the risk of rockburst in coal mines and in deep gold mines in South Africa . This paper reviews the progress that has been made in reducing rockburst risk, and provides an example to illustrate the applicability of these new strategies.
Exam preparation programme in Rock Engineering (Chamber of Mines Paper 3.1) P006669-001-2020 5 Facilities Management P001310-2020 5 Flight Mechanics P007327-2020 4
Rock Mechanics, Risk Assessment, Mining Engineering Expertise Rock Mechanics, Risk Assessment, Geomechanics Instrumentation, Mining Engineering, Numerical Modeling Education D.Eng. (Doctor of Engineering) Rand Afrikaans University M.Sc
Environmental risk assessment as the basis for mine closure at Iscor Mining The approach towards the understanding and application of ERAM, which the authors advocate, differs significantly from the two interpretations just given. The most important concept of our
Risk assessments will help mine operators to identify high, medium and low risk levels. This is a requirement of the Occupational Health and Safety Act 2000 (refer Sections 7 & 8). Risk assessments will help to prioritise the risks and provide information on the
In South African mines, work environments having a wet-bulb temperature in excess of 27.4 C are considered to be ''hot'' and necessitate the introduction of practices to …
Johannesburg, South Africa (Received 29 March 2011, Received in Revised form 27 June 2011, Accepted 28 November2011) Abstract A brief background to the development of the rock engineering design process is given, showing that since the development of ...
Rock Engineer. Anglo American. Jan 2009 - May 201910 years 5 months. Thovhedzo Gcuda is an active member of South African National Institute of Rock Engineers (SANIRE) and Engineering Council of South African (ECSA). She is currently appointed in terms of MHSA regulation 14.1 (8) as a Shaft Rock Engineer for Angloamerican Platinum Tumela Mine.
Construction Regulations 2014 Compliance. Environmental Management. ICAM® (Incident Cause Analysis Method) Course. Legal Responsibility Course for Supervisors. Risk Assessment Course. Risk Management Course. Safety For Supervisors Course. Safety Officers/COMSOC® Course 1, 2 …
· Mining-induced seismic hazard assessment is an important component in the management of safety and financial risk in mines. As the seismic hazard is a response to the mining activity, it is non-stationary and variable both in space and time. This paper presents an approach for implementing a probabilistic seismic hazard assessment to assess the current hazard state of a mine. Each of the ...
the importance of rock engineering in developing this code of practice. Van Wijk et al. (2002) developed a risk-assessment method for use in South African coal mines. This risk-assessment method aims to optimize resources and focuses attention on the areas
Since 1999, the ACG have been involved in research into the mitigation of economic and safety risk associated with seismic risk in hard rock mines. The ACG''s Mine Seismicity and Rockburst Risk Management Project is currently in its 5th phase, with previous phases of the project documented in MERIWA reports M328, M355, M386 and M406.
Safety in Mines Research Advisory Committee (SIMRAC) SIMRAC, a permanent committee of the Mine Health and Safety Council, was established in terms of the Mine Health and Safety Act (29/1996) to conduct research and surveys regarding, and for the promotion of, health and safety in the South Africa…
· Durrheim RJ. Mitigating the risk of rockbursts in the deep hard rock mines of South Africa: 100 years of research. In: Proceedings of the symposium "100 Years of …
William worked on South African deep level gold mines before joining SRK Consulting in 1998. He specialises in underground rock engineering investigation and design, and has published over 40 articles on rock engineering. His expertise encompasses geotechnical ...
· South Africa has set occupational exposure limits (OELs) for some hazards, but mine workers are still at a risk. Since the hazard posed by a mineral depends on its physiochemical properties, it is recommended that South Africa should not simply adopt OELs from other countries but rather set her own standards based on local toxicity studies.
Igneous rock types commonly occurring in South African mining operations, eg. dolerite, kimberlite, pyroxenite, granite, etc Sedimentary rock types commonly occurring in South African mining operations, eg. coal, sandstone, shale, dolomite, etc
In Extracting the Science: a century of mining research, J. Brune (editor), Society for Mining, Metallurgy, and Exploration, Inc., ISBN 978-0-87335-322-9, pp. 156-171. 1 Mitigating the risk of rockbursts in the deep hard rock mines of South Africa: 100 years of
take account of any relevant risk assessment made in accordance with regulation 3 of the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999. • Regulation 9 of The Mines (Safety of Exit) Regulations 1988 requires that where there are more than 50
ISRM International Symposium Rock Mechanics for Africa Paul Buddery graduated with his PhD in 1984 and has spent over 30 years as a coal mining rock mechanic. He first joined the Chamber of Mines of South Africa before